Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Tale of Two Projects

I don’t think my graduate school experience is unique. I entered a PhD program fresh out of undergrad, wide-eyed and excited to research anything my PI told me to. But a couple years into my program I was assigned a lot of random, unrelated things to look into, and none of them seemed to be going anywhere. I expressed this concern to my PI when I thought I should be thinking about my Comprehensive Exams, and was told we were trying “to make something stick.” Finally somewhere in my 3rd year (too late in my opinion), something did stick! Positive data! Oh happy day! Then something stuck on a different project, so cool! I went from five aimless projects, to two promising projects I could pick a thesis from. I just had to pick one, hooray science!
            But somehow a year later, when I should be focusing on developing a strong thesis, I’m still splitting my time between two completely unrelated projects. The joy in having options for a thesis project faded when I realized I wouldn’t be able to work on just one thesis project. Let’s be honest: as researchers, we have our favorite projects. My thesis project is my favorite; it’s exciting, it’s new, and not least of all it’s what I’m using to get my degree and move on. So when I have to work on my other project, it’s a distraction. The result is I don’t feel like I’m making enough progress in either project; both are moving forward, but at what I think is a glacial pace.
            As graduate students, and post-docs, we’re expected to multi-task. I understand that. But when you’re juggling multiple projects that are independent of each other and both have enough going for them to be separate thesis projects, it gets to be overwhelming. But I have learned a few things on how to manage:

1)    Make the project you like best the priority. This is a lot easier to do if it’s your thesis project. Every graduate student I’ve met is a hard-worker, and sometimes that means we feel like failures when we let things go. But devoting your time and thinking abilities to one major project probably means you’ll make more progress, rather than spreading your resources and abilities too thin. I don’t advise splitting your time evenly between two unrelated things: pick one to focus on.

2)    Make your PI like your priority best. Again, this is a lot easer to do if it’s your thesis project. However you feel about your PI, they know it’s in their best interest that you make progress on your thesis. Sometimes reminding them of that helps throw their support and their resources behind your favorite project. In my case, my other project is not one we’re funded to do, while we have grants for my thesis project. A reminder that my other project is using money we aren’t secure in helped shift her focus back to my thesis project.


3)    Don’t completely neglect your other project. My PI doesn’t really remember what I’m working on; I suspect that if I never mentioned my other project she would never ask about it. It’s tempting to pretend the mice for this project don’t exist. But when I have downtime between experiments for my thesis, I still work on it, and think about how to get to the mechanism behind what we’ve observed. This way I’m still furthering the project, and will probably get a paper out of it.


4)    Be willing to teach. There may come a time when your PI or collaborator will take on a new student, and that new student will take that other project off your hands. I’m still waiting for that blessed day, but I know it won’t be a clean break: someone will have to train the hypothetical person who carries on my other project. My PI and our collaborator on the other project both know I’m frustrated with how I have to split my time, but by making it known that I’m happy to help and teach a new person, I think our collaborator is reassured that the project won’t completely fall off the grid if I stop working on it. In being willing to teach, I’m also preserving a decent relationship with our collaborator, and again keeping opportunities for authorship and future collaboration open. And that’s never a bad thing.

This post was written by Stephanie Bora, a 4th year IID PhD student.

No comments:

Post a Comment